The Missoula Nordic Ski Club grooms the cross country ski trails at the Pattee Canyon Picnic Area (Lolo National Forest), and the Rattlesnake Recreation Area (Lolo National Forest). Snow and grooming information for these and a number of other western Montana XC areas is available by clicking on the Snow Grooming tab above. Our ZANY youth ski program helps kids learn to ski. See the calendar listing below for other activities. The club is supported by membership dues and donations. Click on the membership tab above to join.
- September 26: Rattlesnake Trails Weed Pull. 10 am to noon. Meet at the main trailhead.
- October 3: Lolo Pass workday. 9 am to 2:30 pm. Come for some or all of the time. Meet at the visitor center.
- October 17: Pattee workday. 9 am to 11:30 am. Meet at the main trailhad.
- November 11: Annual meeting/potluck. 5:30 to 8 pm at the Big Sky Brewery.
Here is the detailed information on the Lolo Pass workday:
Saturday, October 3, 9a-230p, Lolo Pass Trail Work Day
Meet at the Visitor Center
Community volunteer participation is a part of the agreement that provided some amazing grooming last year. With the recent approval of a grant to purchase a track setter, grooming will be even better. It’s hoped that the process to install the necessary equipment will be completed this season. We had an amazing volunteer turnout last October and completed many projects that had a major impact on trail conditions.
• 9a-230p MST, please come for some or all of the time
• We will be putting up winter signs, bringing in firewood, clearing trail, maybe a little puncheon work
• We may also build a structure to cover the expected tracksetter
• The Forest Service will provide all of the hand tools needed
• Bring gloves, and wear long pants and closed toed shoes
• There will be coffee, hot chocolate, water and coffee cake in the morning
• We will have some snacks to take out on the trails but people should bring some easy snacks and something to drink to make sure they have what they need
• There will be no formal lunch break
For more information on each of these events, see our September newsletter.
We have a Facebook Group and we especially encourage postings and pictures with group.